(L-R) Ismail Sharif, Managing Director, Jumeirah Golf Estates; Barney Coleman, Club Manager, Emirates Golf Club; Remy Milana, Golf Course Superintendent, Dubai Creek Golf & Yacht Club; Matthew Perry, Golf Course Superintendent, Emirates Golf Club; Mark Tupling, Head of Agronomy, Dubai Golf; Christopher May, Chief Executive Officer, Dubai Golf; Abdulla Al Noon, Asset Manager, wasl Asset Management Group.
Jumeirah Golf Estates, the annual host of the European Tour’s ‘Race to Dubai’ finale - the DP World Tour Championship, has become the latest golf club in the Middle East North Africa (MENA) region to become GEO Certified. Dubai Golf properties Emirates Golf Club and Dubai Creek Golf & Yacht Club also achieved GEO recertification after originally receiving the awards in 2015 and 2016 respectfully.
The ‘Golf Environment Organisation’ was founded in 2006 to support golf, helping the sport deliver the greatest possible 'positive impact' in the communities and environments it touches, now and in the future. GEO Certified is golf's internationally accredited ecolabel which is awarded based on the club demonstrating a commitment to continual improvement in six main areas of sustainability; water, nature, energy, supply chain, pollution control and community.
In becoming GEO Certified, Jumeirah Golf Estates joins some of the most famous golf courses in the world that have previously hosted Ryder Cups, Open Championships and European Tour events, including St Andrews, Turnberry, Gleneagles and Le Golf National, host venue of the 2018 Ryder Cup.
Based in Dubai, Jumeirah Golf Estates (now in its 11th year of operation) has established itself as an iconic golfing venue in the United Arab Emirates. The two Greg Norman-designed courses, Earth and Fire, were opened in 2009 and today boasts world-class golfing and premium practice facilities at the Peter Cowen Academy Dubai. The club is also home to a host of casual and fine-dining restaurants, swimming, fitness and tennis facilities making it a renowned all-encompassing leisure hub.
Christopher May, Chief Executive Officer of Dubai Golf said, "We are delighted that Jumeirah Golf Estates is the latest golf club in the Dubai Golf portfolio to become GEO Certified. The drive to become GEO Certified® has been a key milestone in Dubai Golf’s long term environmental strategy focused on protecting our natural resources. It is an incredible achievement for Emirates Golf Club, Dubai Creek Golf & Yacht Club and Jumeirah Golf Estates to hold this accolade, and I am personally very proud of the tireless efforts of the agronomy teams across Dubai Golf for their continual efforts”.
Jonathan Smith, Executive Director of GEO Foundation said: “We congratulate Dubai Golf on their commitment to establishing all the golf courses as valuable oases for biodiversity; and to maximize their positive impact in the community – through the provision of sport, and also in education, charity and other forms of health, recreation, ethical employment policies and so on. There are fine sustainability lines in challenging environments and climates, and net positive outcomes demand extra commitment and attention to detail across all aspects of resource use. This is what is being demonstrated by the existing facilities run by Dubai Golf, and we commend them for it”.
Mark Tupling, Head of Agronomy for Dubai Golf said, “I’m thrilled and incredibly proud to be part of the team that has achieved GEO certification at Jumeirah Golf Estates. Both courses are Eco-Signature Designs and we have worked tirelessly to match that ethos in our daily practices. Bringing the various areas of sustainability together across the whole Club and engaging with the community will be something we will continue to build on. Having all three clubs in the Dubai Golf portfolio GEO Certified is testament to our environmental responsibilities and aligns us with the environmental aspirations of the UAE”.
Highlights from the OnCourse report of Jumeirah Golf Estates have included the following:
- 20% reduction in irrigation consumption over the past 3 years through auditing and best practices.
- State of the art TORO irrigation system, able to control each individual sprinkler to maximize efficiency.
- Use of treated effluent water from the adjacent communities as irrigation which uses the golf course turf as a method of recycling and cleaning the water as it flows through the water cycle into ground water aquifers.
- Recycled water used for cleaning of workshop facilities and golf course maintenance equipment.
- Commitment to environmental sustainability by enhancing the conservation and protection of desert habitats, with their wildlife and vegetation.
- Creation of habitats for migratory and native bird species who seek food, shelter and sanctuary.
- Community engagement programmes through various sporting initiatives; mass participation walks, yoga, sports days, cycling races.
- Use of locally sourced materials from native sand used in bunkers and locally recycled plastic used for the production of water towers.
- Committed to land stewardship though the use of organic and organic derived fertilisers for improved soil health and reduce reliance on carbon rich synthetic Nitrogen sources.
- Commitment to protecting native species through the use of native grass in unmaintained rough areas the planting of the native Ghaf Tree (the national tree of the UAE).
- Reduction of carbon footprint by the using carbon free/zero emission vehicles for golfers and maintenance.
- Dubai Golf encourages colleague development through our ‘Service Culture’ education and training programme. Environmental sustainability is one of the primary pillars, and through regular training and colleague engagement, we aim to limit single-use plastics across the organization.
- Electric car charging points provided at Emirates Golf Club, Dubai Creek Golf & Yacht Club and Jumeirah Golf Estates.
About Dubai Golf
Dubai Golf, a leisure subsidiary owned by wasl Asset Management Group, manages three of the most established and internationally renowned golf clubs in the Middle East- Emirates Golf Club, Jumeirah Golf Estates and Dubai Creek Golf & Yacht Club. The clubs boast five world-class championship golf courses, luxurious clubhouses, all-compassing leisure facilities, award winning restaurants and golf academies, and offer some of the most spectacular locations for golf, events and entertainment in the Gulf. For more information, visit dubaigolf.com
About the GEO
The GEO Foundation is the international not-for-profit dedicated to advancing sustainability in and through golf. Its goal is to work collaboratively to help the sport embrace environmental and social issues and become widely acclaimed for its role in fostering nature, conserving resources and building healthy communities. GEO assures the OnCourse® programmes for grassroots golf facilities, new developments and tournaments, each of which can lead to the internationally accredited, endorsed and independently verified GEO Certified® label. Learn more by visiting www.sustainable.golf